Tuesday 20 March 2012

Chicken a l'orange









I put all of these things in a bowl and marinated the stuffed chicken leg pieces for the afternoon.














Then I browned the chicken in a skillet, coating the underside with flour to thicken the sauce later. After flipping the chicken, I poured back in the marinade, and filled it to capacity with vegetables (onions, carrots and zuccini). The whole pan went in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 in a preheated oven.




After the chicken was done, I took it out to let it rest, and reduced the sauce until it coated the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes.

I was disappointed with this dish. Everything was cooked to the right degree, but to my taste it was mediocre. I like the idea of an orange based sauce, but the marinade didn't really do anything. The garlic didn't flavour the chicken at all, but ended up as a tasty treasure to be found underneath the skin (which I didn't eat). The sauce tasted good, but I should have crushed up the pink peppercorns instead of leaving them whole, and cooked the vegetables separately. I will play with the orange sauce idea without the grapefruit as it was unnoticeable. This recipe isn't worth trying on your own.

No comments: