Thursday 19 April 2012

Udon Stirfry






This used to be one of my staples, but I haven't made it for a while. I try to find a good balance between sweet, salty, spicy and sour. Usually I leave it vegetarian and over the years have decreased the ratio of noodles to vegetables. Though I cook it in a wok, I don't use normal wok technique of super-heating the pan and cooking everything really fast.

First, I lightly caramelized the onions, adding the carrots in once they were translucent. Then, added the garlic, ginger, orange juice (sweet) and broccoli stems. Once the liquid has reduced by two thirds, add the broccoli florets, chopped red pepper, chili pepper (spicy), mustard, soy sauce (salty), and oyster sauce (salty).

Mix well and sprinkle the udon noodles on top, cover for a few minutes. The steam will cook the noodles and make them pleasantly chewy. Mix the noodles in with the sauce and add spinach, cilantro, and a dash of lemon juice (sour). When the spinach has wilted, add the bean sprouts for some crispy goodness. Serve immediately.



No comments: